Thursday, February 21, 2013

Last One Standing

I would like to say that this is a picture of a sculpture
"last one standing"
but unfortunately it is a complete shambles
 
 
This is what greeted me when I opened the kiln after a glaze firing this morning.
I mug and 5 solidified puddles.
Last week I noticed that the clay body I was using was 'a little different'
It looked the same, but just felt different.
WELL IT WAS DIFFERENT
Over a year ago I purchased a different slip that fires at a lower temperature,
after trying it out I decided I liked my old and trusty higher fired slip.
But, when cleaning up the studio last week I must have popped the 2 buckets next to each other.
They are both made by the same manufacturer, have the same lid and also the same sticker on the front.  The only difference is that the writing on the sticker is not the same.
Not one to read stickers on buckets regularly I hadn't noticed that I had been casting with the low fire clay. 
So this is what happened.  Obviously 1 mug was in the high fire and the rest in the low fire clay.
Now having 3 buckets of clay meant that I wasn't sure which pieces I had cast in the low fire and which ones in high fire over the last week and a half.......
So all this
 
 
had to be thrown in the bin!!!
Of course I have 2 markets this weekend, but now not much stock to take.
No girl mugs, no bowls, no new pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment