Sunday, April 7, 2013

Winter

Winter is on it's way??  Well it sort of is....
The weather here has been a little up and down
One day it's cold, the next warm again.
About 6 years ago we put in a heat pump to keep us warm over the winter months
At the time I really wanted a wood heater, but a few people talked me out of it.
The heat pump is good....but electricity prices have soared recently, so it's not as cheap to run as it originally was.
As handy as it is to flick a switch and have instant warmth (not quite heat)
I really miss the ambience of a wood heater.
So either this Winter or next I am planning to invest in one.
That way we can have the convenience of both.
I work every morning at a school nearby, but am home by 11.00am,
so it is feasible for me to 'keep the fires burning'
When I am doing my ceramics the studio is in the back garden, so it's no big deal to pop back to the house for a coffee or lunch and put another log in the fire.
I can't wait....
 
Ideally I LOVED this heater
 
 
it is about 1m long and looks nice and modern.....
but the internal size is small, as it is thin
and it is designed for looks and won't burn overnight, as well as being quite expensive.
I would have been happy to fork out the $$$ if it would burn overnight, as it is a beautiful heater.
 
I also like the look of an inbuilt wood heater
 
 
but this limits the capacity of the heater to distribute warmth, as well as the extra expense of building a chimney etc... and taking up extra space in the lounge area that I don't have.
 
So off to a few companies I went, asked questions, picked up brochures etc....
and have decided that I am best of with a free standing wood heater.
 
 
This is actually my third choice as far as looks are concerned, but it is more efficient in heating a large space so is the best choice for what I need here in Tassie.
I need a 1.2m hearth, so today I moved some of the furniture around to get used to the idea of having a wood heater in the lounge area.
Now it's just wait and see....
See if I am happy with the furniture arrangement, and wait until I have the $$$.

No comments:

Post a Comment